Wimmera lakes to be stocked with trout
New stocks of rainbow and brown trout will be releases into lakes into local lakes later this month.
Labor Member for Western Victoria, Jaala Pulford, said dozens of lakes around Western Victoria have already benefited from the Government’s fish re-stocking program.
Over the next month, thousands of fish are to be released into local lakes including;
- 10,000 brown trout for Wartook Lake, Halls Gap.
- 450 rainbow trout for Marma Lake, Murtoa.
- 300 rainbow trout for the Police Paddock Dams, Horsham.
- 300 rainbow trout for Alexandra Lake, Ararat.
- 300 rainbow trout for Cato Lake, Stawell.
- 200 rainbow trout for Great Western Racing Recreation Reserve, Great Western.
- 350 rainbow trout for Foletti Caravan Park Lake, Donald.
- 1,000 rainbow trout for Tchum Lake, Birchip.
Ms Pulford said over the past month, the Labor Government has released thousands of fish into lakes across the region including Ararat’s Green Hill Lake as well as Bellfield Reservoir and Lake Fyans in Halls Gap.
“Increased fish stocks are a key part of the Labor Government’s Target One Million plan for recreational fishing, which aims to grow participation to one million anglers by 2020,” she said.
“Improving fishing opportunities in places like Murtoa, Horsham, Stawell and Ararat is a great way to attract newcomers to fishing and grow participation in regional communities,” Ms Pulford said.
“Our Target One Million plan for recreational fishing has also helped fishing clubs attract new members and improve facilities, established a marine stocking program with estuary perch and mulloway, and is ending commercial net fishing in Port Phillip Bay,” she said.
“Fishing is such an important recreational activity for many Victorians and I would much rather see kids casting a line that sitting at home on an I-pad,” Ms Pulford said.
“As the Minister responsible, I’m determined that we do our bit to make sure fishing is a fun, safe and rewarding activity for Victorians of all ages,” she said.